Are you tired of the tough, bland bread that is available on your local supermarket shelves? Even the artisan breads from the bakery seem a little lackluster. If you want some hearty loaves of bread that taste like they are fresh from Grandma’s oven, look no further than your bread machine. When these incredible little devices were introduced, everyone had to buy one. It seemed like everyone was whipping up bread recipes right on their kitchen counter.
With the rising cost of groceries and a move to healthier ingredients, bread machines have regained even more popularity. You probably have one that someone gave you as a wedding gift—just hiding somewhere behind your juicer in the pantry. When you get it out of the box and learn to use it, you will wonder why you ever bought bread in the supermarket. If not, make sure to check out some bread machine reviews online and get your hands on one of these bad boys.
To get you started, here are some easy bread maker recipes that your whole family will love:
Heavenly Sweet Bread
This luscious bread has a hint of sweetness and makes a perfect slice of dessert:
- 1.5 cups of water, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups good bread flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter (do not use margarine)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast for bread makers
- 2 tablespoons of dry powdered milk
- Optional: Add raisins, almonds, walnuts, or pecans (chopped)
Add the ingredients as suggested by the bread maker manufacturer. Set on white bread with light crust. If you are adding the optional nuts and raisins, wait until your machine beeps for additional ingredients. Let the bread cool before slicing.
World’s Best Honey Wheat Bread
Introduce your family to delicious alternatives to white bread with this awesome wheat bread recipe:
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons of real butter (not margarine)
- 1.5 teaspoons of salt
- 3 tablespoons of a quality honey
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- ½ cups of old-fashioned oats (not the instant kind)
- 3 cups of good bread flour
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2 teaspoon of yeast (sprinkle it over the flour)
In a mixing bowl, add the oats and the boiling water. While the oats are still warm, put them in the bread machine. Add the rest of the ingredients per manufacturer’s suggestions. Bake on Light setting. Allow to cool on a rack before slicing with a serrated bread knife. Perfect for toast or hearty sandwiches.
Spicy Cajun Loaf
Try this zesty bread with soup or the makings for a unique grilled cheese sandwich:
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup of chopped bell pepper (the orange, yellow, and red ones are sweeter than the green ones)
- ¼ cup onion
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons of real butter (not margarine)
- 2 cups quality bread flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite Cajun or Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
Add the ingredients according to manufacturer’s suggestions. Put setting on light or medium. Let bread cool on a rack before slicing.
With these three simple recipes, you will get into the grove of making your family’s daily bread. Whether it is a sweet or spicy loaf, it will be made with fresh ingredients from your pantry. Slice and enjoy!